Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults
St. Mary welcomes non-Catholics to learn about the Catholic faith. The Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA) is the process through which interested adults are gradually introduced to the Roman Catholic faith and way of life.
Classes are held September through April/May on Thursdays at 7:00 pm, and some Breaking Open the Word sessions will be held on Sundays during 11:00 am Mass. Contact Father Lawrence Adamczyk or Paula Bowers at the Parish office 301-739-0390 for more information.
Confraternity of Christian Doctrine
The classes for instruction about the Catholic faith for children from the ages of Preschool to 8th grade are known as CCD.
This instruction is held from September until May.
To enable all to attend Mass, CCD starts immediately after the 9:30 am Sunday Mass from 10:45 am and finishes at 12:15 pm. CCD is held in St Mary School
Parents who are members of St. Mary may register new students by contacting:
Jan McCarter, 301-739-0390 ext. 129.
Prior to receiving any sacrament in the Catholic faith there are classes to prepare the recipients, or their parents. Classes are held each month for parents baptizing their first child in the Catholic Church.
Class is held on Sunday, Feb 15th, 2015, and March 15th, 2015 from 12:30 to 1:30 pm. The class is held in the Conference Room of the Parish Center (2nd floor) ( There are no Baptisms celebrated during Lent)
Contact Paula Bowers at the Parish office to register: 301-739-0390
First Eucharist/Reconciliation & Confirmation
Prior to receiving any sacrament in the Catholic faith there are classes to prepare the recipients. Children receiving Sacraments and their parents must attend these preparatory classes.
Those in second grade may be eligible to receive their 1st Penance (Confession/Reconciliation) and 1st Eucharist (Communion).
Contact Jan McCarter (301-739-0390 ext. 129) for more details.
Those in eighth grade may be eligible to receive Confirmation. You must atend Classes for Conformandi .
Contact Youth Ministry 301 739 0390 ext. 128 for more details.
Prior to receiving any sacrament in the Catholic faith there are classes to prepare the recipients for the reception of the Sacrament.
If you are getting married, please contact Fr. Collin at least six months prior to your wedding date.
There are several ways to spiritually prepare for the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony:
- Pre-Cana is a set of classes for engaged couples. Couples must meet with the priest who will perform the ceremony before attending pre-Cana classes. Registration is handled through the Archdiocese of Baltimore. Visit http://www.archbalt.org/family-life/marriage-family/marriage-preparation/index.cfm for complete information.
- Weekend Encounter for the Engaged – all preparation sessions are included in this weekend retreat. See above link for more information.
- Sponsor Couples – a married couple will mentor an engaged couple during your preparation.
Contact Paula Bowers at the Parish office (301-739-0390) with any questions.
Continuing Catholic Education
- Catholic Book Club: Fridays 6:30- 8:30pm (except Lent and Advent) open to all those interested in books of Catholic interest or who simply have questions about Catholic topics. Contact Father Larry
- Wednesday Morning Catechism: Wednesday 10:30-11:45 am. An in-depth study of the Catechism of the Catholic Church, paragraph by paragraph, or a place to simply ask questions of Catholic interest. Contact Father Larry
- Catholic Bible Study: Meets the second Sunday of the month (September through May) from 6:30-8:30 pm. The 2015-2016 topic will be the “7 Last Things” and “Are Sacraments Biblical?” by Dr. Brant Pitre. Contact Father Larry